Area Human Resources ManagerDelta & Sheraton St. John’s, NL
The incumbent is responsible for executing the day-to-day, operational Human Resource for two hotels. This hands-on position will assist with implementation and coordination of HR policies and programs. Additionally, he/she utilizes a Human Resource Business Plan aligned with brand strategies to deliver HR services that enable business success.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides advice, guidance and counsel to General Managers and Department Heads pertaining to employee/labour relations, employment compliances, performance management, conflict and change management.
2. Acts as internal resource and liaison to Department Heads on issues as necessary.
3. Ensures internal corporate policies and procedures are in adherence to legislatively compliance.
4. Assists with recruitment, by developing job profiles, source candidates, and resume screening.
5. Liaise with Corporate Office and Department Heads to review grievances and possible resolution.
6. Collaborate with Corporate Office and consultant to administer disability management through return to work plans, accommodation, attendance management and injury/illness reporting.
7. Develops and prepares employment offer letters for all new hires, and ensure that required documentation is complete.
8. Assist and maintain all onboarding documentation for all employees.
9. Maintain all property management personnel files/documents.
10. Administers performance review program to ensure effectiveness, compliance, and equity within the hotel.
11. Responsible for Pay Equity Plan(s) maintenance and statutory reporting requirements.
12. Coach, guide and administer the progressive discipline process and ensure Performance Review Evaluations are completed.
13. Conducts HR investigations (i.e. policy violations, employee relations matters; harassment claims) and makes recommendations for action and approval within legislative frameworks.
14. Prepares all employee separation documentation as directed by General Manager and Department Heads.
15. Assist with the role out and maintenance of training requirements and recommends external training resources in compliance with hotel brand programs and management policies.
16. Liaise with Corporate Human Resources Manager on corporate/national initiatives or escalated concerns.
17. Leads the hotel’s working committees: Labour/Management, Workplace Health and Safety, Social Committee.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Completion of post-secondary Degree/Certificate in Human Resources.
- 5 years of progressive experience in a complex, multi-unit HR role or hotel background.
- CHRP/CHRL designation would be an asset.
- Experience and knowledge of employment practices as it relates to HR concepts and applications around progressive discipline, Employee Relations, Labour Relations, Health & Safety due diligence, Human Rights, benefit administration and compensation.
- Sound working knowledge of Collective Agreement administration and the ability to effectively interpret and apply accordingly.
- Thorough knowledge of provincial Labour standards legislation and Labour laws governing equal employment opportunity and human rights codes, occupation health and safety guidelines, worker’s compensation, and Labour relations.
- Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter, flexible and adaptable, works effectively and independently with a focus on meeting business objectives.
- Excellent written, oral, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to multi task, probe, analyze and problem solve issues.
- Ability to respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Capacity to exercise extreme discretion with sensitive and confidential information.
- Strong organizational skills, including effective prioritization and follow-up.
- Positive, customer service oriented, cross culturally sensitive, works well in a team oriented environment.
- Ability to deal with all levels of management and staff in a professional manner.
- Proficient with computerized systems; MS Word, Excel, Outlook and HRIS.
- Listening and mental attentiveness in dealing with customer or public queries, and manager's requirements.
- Mental effort required in multi-tasking and handling interruptions that require constant refocusing.
- Performs computer work daily.
- Governed by concurrent and dynamic deadlines, despite conflicting priorities and frequent interruptions.
- Fast-paced work environment
- Frequent handling of queries and calls from coworkers, and property staff.
- Occasionally required to work overtime in order to meet deadlines.
TYPE OF SUPERVISION REQUIRED
Reports to General Manager, consults department heads and Corporate HR as is required before making a major decision. The Incumbent works under little to no supervision.